Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Robert Wilson's Black Panther



Recently I went to the National Museum of Singapore to check out a photographic installation by Robert Wilson. Robert Wilson's work always intrigued me. His set design for theatrical productions and the way he works across disciplines always opens up my mind. I also love going to the National Museum - as the architecture of the National Museum never fails to inspire and move me. So seeing a interesting artist in such a space was a treat indeed. The exhibition by Robert Wilson was powerful. I loved the way Wilson extended the boundaries of what portraits and video/photography is about. Yes, there were images of Brat Pitt etc but the one image that really drew me in was that of a black panther. It was so still, so powerful and so deeply moving. Its intense green eyes and its shining black coat were mesmerizing. The fact that the image was in a dark room by itself made it almost come alive. As I stood there watching the panther I felt danger. I felt that any moment he might spring out at me. But beyond danger I sensed beauty. A fierce beauty. A beauty that was rooted in strength, speed and agility. Not makeup and man made design. Pure unadulterated work of nature beautifully captured and presented by Robert Wilson. God's work in all its pure magnificence. It also reminded me of all the divine animals in the temples and how HIndus see animals as God's companions and vahana (transportation). The link between the divine and the Lord was powerfully reinforced in this image.

No comments: