Saturday, June 27, 2009

Water Spirits in the Smithsonian Museums




Today I visited an exhibition on African water spirits at the National African Museum, part of the Smithosonian family of museums. I loved both the architecture of the museum, the ornamental outdoor gardens as well as the quality of the exhibition and the docents leading those exhibitions. It was a truly and deeply immersive four hours in the museums. Save of the museums in Paris like the Louve and the Rodin museum, for some reason museums never really moved me. I prefer performing arts to static visual arts. But at the Smithsonian today architecture, design, scale, color and harmony all came together in a beautiful way that stimulated as well as calmed the senses simultaneously. It reminded me alot of the Parisian museums where art is a holistic offering - where there are beautiful chairs in nooks and corners for one to sit and contemplate the art. There is a deep tranquility in the gardens and the many wooden benches and sculptures under the big shaded trees. I also visited the Arthur Sackler Museum and the Freerr Museum. What I really appreciated were the high ceilings, the beautiful lighting of the exhibitions and the supremely enthusiastic staff of the Smithosonian. They loved their museum and their enthusiasm was infectious.

No comments: