Monday, February 8, 2010

Snow White


There have been many changes in my life since I last wrote. Some on the physical plane while others were on an intellectual and spiritual plane. But the most profound change was experiencing snow. Not as a tourist would. Not as an outsider looking in would. But as a resident who sees how the rhythm and tension of city changes when it snows. DC has been experiencing historic amounts of snow this winter. We had 22 inches during Christmas and a blizzard yesterday which dumped over 27inches in various parts. Traffic came to a standstill and the airport shut down. The media whipped up a frenzy with snow warnings. This led to empty shelves in grocery stores as people stocked up on food.

The few times it had snowed in DC I had waited for it eagerly - like a woman waiting to be reunited with a lover. And I had always planned an early morning walk so that I and the snow filled city could share an intimate moment. Before the city stirred. Before the shops opened. Before the powdery white snow turned to slush. Seeing everything covered in snow and breathing in the crisp clear winter air always left me invigorated. Inspired. And in some strange way I always felt courageous - for walking out in the snow on an early morning before any of the snow has been shoveled away. Today morning I sat in the only cafe that was open in Georgetown looking out the large windows. A stranger came up and asked me whether I was enjoying the view. I was surprised by his question. I was so engrossed looking out of the window that I hardly realized the intense expression I worn on my face. I was mesmerized by the sight of folks running in the snow. Every time it snows extreme sports enthusiasts seem inspired to run outdoors. This time a pack of 7 runners almost identically attired - in blue and black lycra - were running in the middle of the empty road on a thin layer of snow. I saw the exhilaration in their faces. I admired their firm long strides on a harsh terrain. I felt the joy of their run. It was like a beautifully choreographed dance by a pack of elegant long limbed men. Putting up a joyous performance for us ordinary mortals. Mortals who could only manage to nurse their steaming lattes in the arms of a beautiful french cafe. While silently cheering the runners on.

No comments: