Thursday, February 11, 2010

Writing in a Single Breadth



Yesterday marked three months since I moved to DC. It also happened to be the first birthday I was celebrating in snowy DC. DC was experiencing its worst snow blizzard in many decades. There was a snow storm warning from morning till 10pm last night. I had woken up with mixed feelings - the idea of staying indoors and watching the snow pile up for another day in a row was not exactly my cup of tea. The city had shut down for the past three days and I was beginning to feel restless.

In some ways the snow storm brought back childhood fears of thunder storms which would make me run to my mom's room and snuggle up to her. This memory helped me handle my irritation at myself - related to this gnawing feeling of anxiety. An anxiety that pervaded my day and made me unproductive.

Before the storm I had planned birthday drinks with a group of friends. But the weather Gods unilaterally cancelled it. However, throughout the day I was inundated with calls, emails, facebook wishes and skype conferences. From London, Singapore, Australia, Santa Fe and New York the wishes flowed in ceaselessly. It was sheer joy to see my friends on skype and to hear the energy in their voice. My birthday became a time to celebrate all my friendships and recollect my global adventures.

The day also presented a beautiful opportunity for reconciliation and reconnection with friends I had drifted away from. Friends who used this day to reach out. It was wonderful to reconnect and refresh a bond that once had meant so much to both of us. And to remind oneself that life is short and differences, petty or otherwise, should be treated with a generous spirit. In the course of speaking with one such friend I had mentioned how I always committed to writing a blog entry quickly - typically under 2 min. Not overthink it. Not overdraft it. I felt that when you redo things the essence of the first instinct is lost. So until and unless I feel ready I don't write a blog. My friend on hearing this said this is the zen way. My method was similar to the calligraphy masters who did their piece of calligraphy in a single breath and single sitting. No matter how big a canvas they were working on.

My neighbor realizing I was "stuck" at home assured me we can still have drinks. Just that it would be at my place. He came over with a bottle of wine, got the fire in the fireplace going and handed me an envelop. His calm gestures were strangely comforting. The envelop contained a jigsaw puzzle of alphabets. The alphabets once arranged coherently will reveal my birthday present he said. How imaginative !!! I struggled to put the words in some order - my mind was all foggy from being cooped up at home. The words after much help from him eventually read The New York Review of Books. He had gotten me a one year subscription to this beautiful literary supplement. I was THRILLED !!! And touched. My birthday turned out exactly how I had hoped for - the warmth of great friendships, love and laughter in the midst of a raging snow storm.

No comments: