Sunday, February 21, 2010

A Tree Looking for A Home Meets a Artist Looking for A Tree

From the first time I saw my new apartment, its high loft like ceilings with strong angular ceilings inspired me. It felt like a cross between a church and a modern museum. I felt inspired to reach up to the sky in this space. But I also realized having such a space was quite alien to me and to a degree that intimidated me. To do justice to a beautiful interior space with high ceilings I knew needed something majestic. The image of a tree kept appearing in my mind. Its strong brown branches - like powerful tentacles seemed to call out to me. But I did not know where to shop for this tree/branch structure. Or how to transport it into my home. But practicality has never really stopped me from pursuing something. So I kept the vision firmly in my head. And a corner in my house empty for this sculptural beauty.

Today morning I went for a walk in my neighborhood. It was a beautiful morning - at the perfect temperature of 7 degrees celcius. A bright sunshine, birdsong and a crisp clear blue sky greeted me. Just a week ago it has been too cold and the side walks filled with snow and ice. Walking or driving had become quite dangerous. But much of the snow had since melted and I could stroll around and inspect my neighborhood. The snow blizzard had wrecked havoc among the trees. Many tree branches had fallen. These fallen branches had been swept to the side and were waiting to be cleared away by the city's trash removal company. When I looked at these discarded trees I felt sorry for them. Like victims of the snow storm - separated from their mother tree with whom they had until recently been a proud family. Maybe I could offer them a home? Along the canal near my home I caught sight of what I thought would be the perfect fallen tree branch. A sizable chunk of branches from a tree had broken off.

I got hold of a workman and got him to haul the huge structure to my home. This piece of beauty was over 3 meters high with beautiful tentacles all spread out. I did not want to break or saw off any of the branches. I worked with two guys to orientate it up a few flights of stairs and into the narrow door of my house. It was such an energizing act of creation. I loved every minute of it. Eventually we had to saw two of its branches so that it could balance on its own without being nailed or tied with strings to the wall. The whole energy of the space in my house has changed since its arrival this morning. I am curious to see how this tree evolves into a element of controlled wilderness in my home.

No comments: