Sunday, April 18, 2010

Early Morning Spring Walk


Today I woke up feeling I had to go out for a walk. Nature was beckoning. Indoor exercising has never been my thing. But I was forced to do it during winter. But running or walking outdoors has always refreshed my spirit and my body in a profound way. I responded to this call before my lazy mind crept in with excuses - its a bit chilly outside, its a bit too early (630am), you might not make it back in time for your breakfast meeting etc. I resolutely bounded down the steps and ran outside before the list of excuses grew any longer and trapped me inside my home. And God - it was a beautiful spring morning. I felt indeed like I had run out into a temple of God's best creation. The sun had just risen and it was still low and mellow in the sky. The birds were chirping. I had missed the birdsong terribly during winter. I walked briskly up to my favorite area filled with old row houses all immaculately conserved and cared for. All the owners had planted beautiful flowers and plants outside their homes. The treelined street had a quiet beauty and integrity. As I walked I could almost feel myself blossoming alongside the flowers and birds. I had missed the green of the trees, the green of the grass, the green of lush vines creeping up the brickstone. And I did not realize how bleak the winter had been and what a surge of relief I had felt when the trees turned emerald green and vast stretches of brown earth came alive with grass. This was something I had taken completely for granted having lived in a very green Singapore a big part of my life.

My best friend had given me a beautiful pink Ishuffle sometime ago and I had downloaded the most moving and spiritually infused music into it from my vast and rather chaotic music collection. And walking thru the quiet streets of georgetown with this music felt like taking a walk with my special friend. Another good friend of mine - Sita Jameson - a powerful chanter/singer had also given me her music. And listening to it while walking also brought me closer to her energy - her strong Shiva voice in her little lithe feminine frame. It also invoked in me the mountain energy of Santa Fe. In one short crisp Spring morning walk the different threads of my past came together. A harmonious convergence of the energy of true friends, sacred mountains, lush foliage and angelic chanting via a nifty pink device. I think I just experienced the most perfect Saturday morning in Georgetown.

No comments: