Monday, April 26, 2010

Crafting An American Beauty


The Smithsonian Craft Show was on this weekend. I caught it today - the last day of the show. And my was I glad I went. I have great respect for craftsmen and artisans who can produce amazing works of art with their hands inspired by unique visions in their head. With the arrival of machines and artificial means of production I always wondered how little one man artisans like jewelers, furniture makers and dress makers survived. How do they market their amazing work? How do they retain creative control and a sense of ownership in how their work is marketed and to whom it is sold? After today's show I still don't have answers to these questions. But I was deeply inspired by the crafts that I saw and the artists who I had met. The first stop was at a hatter's display. It was full of beautiful handmade straw hats in very unique shapes. They were exquisitely designed and had an integrity and originality to their form that I had seldom encountered. It was wonderful to touch, feel and wear some of these hats and chat with the artist who made them. I also met two jewelers who were working with very interesting materials and finding ways to create wearable art. I bought three pairs of earrings after having a great chat with each of these jewelers. Attending the crafts exhibition also showed the depth of American crafts tradition in its diversity. And how many of these artists seem to be inspired by the rugged Americna landscapes that they inhabit. One of the artist told me that the lake near his home was a constant source of inspiration for his design. It struck me that these were original thinkers who were not pandering to mainstream media or magazines on fashion, design or architecture as a way to build their clientele. Many of them seem intent of finding their market through more innovative outlets like the crafts show. The Crafts show was also curated like an intimate private party in someone's house - someone who had amassed great artists and then invited his friends over for tea to celebrate their work. For those who ask if Americas have any culture - don't be fooled by the mainstream media. Shows like this are proof that the pioneering spirit and unique vision of American artists is alive and very well.

No comments: